I am always trying to incorporate more greens into our diet. We already love green juices and smoothies and drink them daily. Over the time I have learned the tricks how to hide the “green” taste, so its no problem there. But most of us are not huge fans of chewing big bolws of green leaves and getting everyone to eat celery and parsley was even bigger challenge in our house. Spiralizing cucumber and zucchini into noodles is also great way to incorporate more raw green veggies, but I wanted to get in even more greens.
Like most of the best recipes are born, so was this one, I just tossed buch of things in the food processor and there it was- the tastiest and most nutritious pesto ever.
You can replace the avocado with cucumber or zucchini if you want to make this low fat or if you want more fats, go ahead and add the whole avocado. Oh, and when in season, adding wild greens like dandelion would be amazing. Feel free to experiment with different greens and add some extras like sundried tomatos or olives.
This works great on zucchini and cucumber noodles, with raw crackers, in salads or simply for dipping veggies. This super green pesto is really nutritious but also fast and easy to make.
If you are not a fan of greens I urge you to try this pesto with cucumber noodles, cherry tomatos and some tender microgreens like alfaalfa. I promise, you will be hooked and every cell in your body will thank you.
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1/2 avocado
- 2tbsp hemp hearts
- 4 kale leaves
- Handful of cilantro
- Handul of dill
- 50g of baby spinach
- 50g of basil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch if pink Himalayan salt to taste
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- Rinse your greens under warm running water.
- Cut celery into smaller pieces and remove the stems from kale.
- Peel the garlic cloves and press some lemon juice.
- Half the avocado and scoop out the half without seed. (Halfed avocado preserves better with the seed left attached)
- Toss everything in the food porocessor and whirl until all is crushed into pesto texture. If needed, take off the lid and scrape stuff down.
- Taste and add some salt or lemon juice if needed.
- Enjoy the amazing smell that emerges from the food processor.