Who does’nt like chinese food, but I do’nt like the way I feel after eating all that oil, even the vegan dishes are not that healthy. This recipe is really healthy, and cauliflower transforms into something totally different. So even if you usually do’nt like cauliflower then in this dish it tastes kind of like chik’n, no trace of cauliflower taste or texture. Instead of frying in oil, The cauliflower is baked and if you want gluten free option use rice flour and gluten free bread crumbs, or omit the bread crumbs entirely and use only sesame seeds. I have even used dehydrated okara crumbs and it worked great. Also you can make different flavours, just switch the sauce, use BBQ or Balsamico instead of Hoisin sauce.
- 1 cup organic spelt flour or rice flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup of organic cornstarch
- 1 small head of cauliflower florets
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cups sesame seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch of ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 250C.
- Take your flour, cornstarch and water and mix until smooth.
- Next dip your cauliflower one by one in the flour batter and tap off the excess. Then dip into bread crumbs until evenly coated. Continue this process until all the cauliflower is covered. If you are raelly in a hurry or feeling lazy, you can toss all your cauliflower in the batter and mix with your hands until everything is evenly coated. And you may do the same with breadcrumbs. The result is not that neat but equally tasty.
- Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, whisk together water, tamari, sugar, hoisin, tahini, cornstarch, chilli sauce and vinegar.
- Heat tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saucepan and stir the garlic and ginger until fragrant. For oil free just use few tablespoons of water.
- Whisk in the sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove cauliflower from oven and coat with sauce and sesame seeds.
- Serve with brown rice and garnish with scallions.