This recipe was created for my husband, who likes to sleep as long as possible before waking up and going to work and who doesn’t like to eat breakfast just after stepping out of bed. In the summertime smoothies or overnight oats were his usual to go breakfast but for now he wanted some change.
I think these oatmeal cups are perfect solution, they are so easy to take on the go and can be enjoyed with the cup of coffee or tea at work. Plus they are healthy, nutritious, filling and of course really tasty. Bonus is that there are so many varieties you can make these, so you wont get bored from the same flavors. Make different fillings with one batch and you can enjoy different tastes. And you can make these for several days ahead, so with one cooking you cover 2-3 breakfasts. These are perfect for the kids also, if they don’t like to sit down and eat in the morning, they can just crab a few oatmeal cups on the go. This recipe is a win win in my book.
Depending on the amount of fillings and the size of your muffin cups this recipe makes 12 to 24 individual cups. I have smaller sized silicone muffin cups so I made 24 individual cups with three different fillings. Feel free to half the recipe if this is too many for you, specially if you are not sure if you are going to like them.
- 1/2 cup homemade apple sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups homemade almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or 1/2 cup date paste
- 2 tsp organic baking powder
- 4 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Filling and topping:
- some sliced almonds or hemp hearts for topping
- 1/4 cup blueberries for filling
- 1/4 cup apple slices for filling
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips for filling
- Preheat oven to 190C and position a rack in the center. Line muffin tin with muffin papers or use silicone muffin cups like I do.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until thoroughly combined. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Separate into three different bowls and add each filling in one bowl and stir to mix. Spoon into muffin cups. Top with sliced almonds or hemp hearts.
- Place on rack in the center of the oven and bake until oatmeal cups are firm to the touch, about 20-25 minutes.
- Let them cool down and refrigerate for breakfasts on the go. Enjoy!