This is one of our pasta favorite recipe at the moment, both kids and adults approved. You can use this cheesy sauce over pasta, steamed veggies or make a casserole dish.
Since my daughter does not want to eat rice at the moment I have started making more pasta dishes, pasta is her favorite. It is not the healthiest food for a growing kid to eat in my opinion, but I use whole wheat and flaxseed pasta, corn pasta, rice noodles or spelt pasta and try to include lots of veggies and fresh salads. So the result will be a happy mother and a happy daughter- she gets her pasta and I get my kid to eat veggies without any hustle.
You can replace cashews with sunflower seeds and substitute coconut milk with some other plant milk. I think there is some room to play with the veggies also if you want, try adding some other veggies in the sauce like sweet potatoes or cauliflower etc. This can be a really good way to sneak some healthy veggies into your kids menu.
- 2-4 cups pasta of choice
- 1 cup peeled and diced potatoes
- ¼ cup peeled and diced carrots
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup water from boiled veggies
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions (usually requires boiling for 8-11 minutes in salted water), drain, and set aside.
- Bring several cups of water to boil in a small pot and place chopped potatoes, carrots, and onion in the boiling water, cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft enough to blend. Cooking time will vary slightly, based on how small you have chopped your veggies.
- When veggies are soft enough to blend, use a slotted spoon to remove them from cooking water, and place them in your blender. Add ¾ cup of cooking water to your blender, along with your remaining ingredients.
- Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Pour sauce over your cooked macaroni noodles in a dish of your choice and serve while hot.
- Or, place macaroni mixture in a baking dish with some lightly steamed veggies, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and bake at 180C for 15 minutes, or until crumbs are turning golden brown.