I have to start with saying that I love potatoes: steamed, cooked, fried, whatever kind, they are just so good. I have been missing creamy potato casserole since going vegan and now I have discovered this amazing and simple recipe. Everyone in our family loves this simple but hearty dish.
Regular scalloped potatoes are loaded with milk, butter, and cream but this healthy plant-based whole food version has none of that! Instead, it uses a base of blended cashews or sunflower seeds for a rich and creamy taste and texture without all the refined fat. Using sunflower seeds instead of cashews make this a really cheap and healthy dish. You can get creative here and add onions, mushrooms, spinach or sun-dried tomatoes between the layers to boost nutrition and add flavor. I really like it just with potatoes though, with a big green salad aside.
- 3/4 cup cashews or sunflower seeds, soaked overnight or boiled in water 10-15 minutes.
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tsp onion powder or granulated onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 1 tsp sweet pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 8 medium potatoes
- paprika and parsley for garnish
- Place cashews/sunflower seeds, 3/4 cup water, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder in blender and blend until very smooth.
- Add 2 cups of the water and blend some more.
- Scrub potatoes and peel if desired. Slice potatoes into thin slices. It takes as little as 15 minutes with a food processor to cut the potatoes.Place slices in a baking dish until halfway filled.
- Pour half of blender mixture over top of potatoes.
- Place the rest of the potatoes and pour the rest of the mixture over the potatoes.
- Cover with lid and bake at 180c for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 35 minutes.
- Serve hot with green salad.