I haven’t made lasagne since I became vegan, so today I finally made my first vegan lasagne and I would say it came out quite good. Nutritional yeast flakes give the lasagne nice and cheesy flavor. Next time I would add some mushrooms and it would be even better. You wont be missing meat and cheese in this lasagne, it is full of flavors and also oil free. If you have issues with gluten, use gluten free lasagne sheets or zucchini slices instead of pasta sheets.
For the eggplant:
- 2 small eggplants
- organic meat spice
- 2 tsp Himalayan salt
- pinch black pepper, ground
For the sauce:
- 500 ml tomato passata or crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried basil or Italian herb mix
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp paprika flakes
- pinch Himalayan salt
For the noodles:
- about 10-12 lasagne sheets or thinly sliced zucchini
For the filling:
- 150g organic tofu mince (optional)
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp organic rice cream
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Heat the oven to 180c.
- Soak each lasagna sheet under running water and set aside on the baking sheet.
- Cook onions in water, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste and cook the paste for few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bay leaf, paprika flakes, basil and a pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes to meld the flavors. Taste, and season with additional salt and paprika flakes as needed, set aside.
- Cook eggplant with little water until soft, add salt, pepper, meat spice, stir and set aside.
- Combine tofu, rice cream, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and measured salt and pepper in the bowl. Taste and season with more lemon juice, salt and pepper as needed, set aside.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Place a single layer of lasagna sheets on top of the sauce, so the bottom is covered. Top the sheets with a layer of the tofu filling and spread evenly. Lay the eggplant cubes over the filling. Spread some sauce over the eggplant layer. Make three more layers of lasagna sheets, tofu filling, eggplant cubes and sauce.
- Cover with lid or foil and bake for 30 minutes, until lasagna sheets are soft. Uncover and bake until bubbling, about 10 minutes more. Let cool at least 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with big fresh salad.