This soup is one of our favorite, it is so good and warming and really easy to make. We like to eat this soup with homemade garlic bread.
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced (or leek)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/3 tsp chili, minced (or chilli powder or flakes)
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 6 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- pink himalayan salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 handfuls torn kale leaves or spinach
- In a large pot/pan, sauté the onion and garlic in a 1/2 cup of water for about 5-6 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in the celery and sauté for a few minutes more.
- Stir in the bay leaf, cumin and chili. You can add half the spices and add more later if you prefer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, vegetable broth, and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes, until lentils are tender and fluffy.
- Stir in kale or spinach and season to taste adding more spices if you wish.