I really love spring rolls, but I don’t like to eat them out any more, since they are fried in oil and full of other nasty stuff I prefer not to put in my body. So I am making my own now. I usually make sweet chilli sauce also myself. Today I didn’t had any time because my brother came to visit and I wanted to make him my spring rolls, so I bought preservative free sweet chilli sauce (contains only chilli, lemon, salt, sugar and wine vinegar). It turned out to be really strong so I blended some fresh tomatoes (my brothers great idea) and mixed with chilli, so it turned out quite good. Also you can regulate how strong, sweet, salty you want your chilli sauce to be if you make your own. Use your imagination when making fillings, you can use any kind of raw or cooked veggies. At the moment I like them warm and crisp dipped in the sweet chili sauce but on the hot days they are great with fresh veggies and some lighter sauce.
- 16 rice papers
- half a head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 mushrooms, chopped
- 2-4 tbsp spiced cumin
- pinch of saffron threads
- pinch of salt
- Sautee onion with water for few minutes, then add carrot, celery, cabbage and mushrooms, add a little more water then put on a lid and let simmer until everything is almost soft. Drain any extra water.
- Take a big oven pan or a big plate and fill the bottom with warm water, moist kitchen towel and set next to the pan. Line other pan with baking paper at set aside near you.
- Take one sheet of rice paper, place in the water and soak until it gets softer, then put on the moist towel. You might need to add some warm water time to time, when it starts to cool down on the pan so keep a kettle with boiled water near.
- Put few spoonfuls on veggie mix in the middle of the rice paper and fold it from each side so nothing will fall out and place on the pan. Try to fold so both sides have the same amount of rice paper. Continue this until you have filled the pan with spring rolls.
- You can eat them like they are and dip them in a chili sauce or you can put them into oven with maximum temperature until they turn golden brown and crisp. Then remove from oven and let cool about 5-10 minutes. Enjoy 😉