Today we had visitors, my best friend who was in Australia for few years is back 🙂 I am so happy, missed her a lot :P. I made vegan sushi and banana vanilla ice cream with strawberries and cacao nibs. I messed up with sushi a little- I put too much wasabi in the rolls :D. But anyway, sushi can still be really good with only plants in them ;). So I dare you to make vegan sushi and not like it :). I love it! As long as you have soy sauce, it tastes really good. I really try to avoid all kind of soy products generally, but once or twice a month I eat sushi with organic fermented soy sauce- Tamari or Nama Shoyu. These are the best and healthiest soy sauce you can get and the most natural ones also. I suggest to dilute with water so it wont be so strong. I really used to love pickled ginger but I haven’t used it since all the ones I have found contain some additives. I also use lemon juice instead of sushi vinegar to make it more healthier, since nori and soy sauce have quite high amount of sodium already. I suggest you drink more water than usual, when you planning to eat sushi, it will help your body do wash out extra sodium faster ;). if this is your first time making sushi, I suggest check out this YouTube video. There is also really specific way to boil the rice, but I usually don’t bother with that and make with the rice I have and boil it a little-bit more then usual, so it will be a little sticky. If you want to make with sushi rice, I suggest you follow the instructions and make accordingly, check here.
- ca 500g sushi rice, you can also use cauliflower rice, quinoa, brown rice or basmati rice
- one lemon
- sea salt
- 10 nori sheets
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 2 small cucumber, sliced
- ca 8 sauteed mushrooms
- cashew cream with dash of wasabi
- Boil the rice until cooked, meanwhile prepare cashew spread (make as regular cashew spread but add pinch of wasabi instead on nutritional yeast).
- When rice is cooked, add squeezed lemon and dash of sea salt, stir to mix and put on a big plate or tray to cool down.
- While rice is cooking and cooling, sautee onions on the frying pan with a dash of lemon juice and water, just until they start getting softer, then drain and set aside to cool down.
- Cut avocado and veggies into thin strips (I like to leave them quite big,since I like when there as as much veggies as there is rice).
- When the rice is cooled start to roll your sushi, put nori sheet on the sushi mat and make your fingers wet and apply rice on the nori leaving only upper side little empty.
- Place on the bottom side of the nori one row of each filling-cucumber, avocado, bell pepper, mushroom and spread cashew cream (you can skip this at all).
- Now carefully start to roll your sushi, supporting with fingers so it wont fall apart, when almost rolled, wet the empty part of the nori sheet and roll until the end so it will all come together.