I have to say I just love cashews. There is so many things that you can make out of these nuts- like cheese, mayo, dip, cream, cake frosting etc.
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked for at least 4 hours
- dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup filtered water, or more for desired consistency
- 1 tbsp mustard powder or mustard or desired herbs when making dip
- Put all of the ingredients except the herbs and water into a food processor (to maintain a chunky consistency) and pulse.
- Gradually add in the filtered water to achieve the desired consistency. A thick creamy dip requires only a little water. Pulse and open to scrape the sides in order to mix thoroughly. I continually taste as I pulse, to get just the right blend of flavors. I often keep adding salt, ginger and lemon juice until I get it just right.
- Once reached desired consistency gently mix in the herbs.
Give this cashew creation your own personality and you won’t be disappointed. You can make this as a dip for veggies by adding paprika powder or some fresh herbs.
- 1 cup organic raw cashews soaked for 4 hours
- 1/4-1/2 cup filtered water depending on desired thickness
- 4-6 tbsp date paste, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract, or more to taste
- a pinch of pink himalayan salt
Throw everything into the blender and puree until thick and creamy.
It is a good idea to start with ¼ cup of water, and then gradually thin it out in order to achieve the desired thickness.
Cashew cheesecake mix:
- Place 3 cups of cashews, 1/2 cup of coconut butter, 1/2 cup of lemon or lime juice, zest of all the lemons you juiced, 1 cup of dates, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 cups water and pinch of salt in a blender or food processor and puree until silky smooth. Pour mixture onto crust, and freeze 1 to 2 hours, or until firm.
- Remove from freezer, slice while frozen, and transfer to serving platter.
- Defrost in fridge 1 hour, or on counter-top 30 minutes, top with berries and serve.
Cashew cheese and spread
- 2 cups of raw cashews soaked in filtered water for 2-4 hours
- 1/4 cup-1/2 cup filtered water as needed for desired consistency
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tsp pink himalayan salt
- Place the cashews, 1/2 of the water, 1/2 of the lemon juice, garlic and sea salt in the food processor and pulse until roughly blended.
- Gradually add in more lemon juice, garlic and salt to taste.
I like my cheese the consistency of ricotta. The more water you add, the creamier and thinner the cheese will become. Add less water for a thicker, more rustic cheese.
Cooked solid cheese:
- Spoon the mixture into a muslin cloth and tie tightly at the top, making a little sack.
- Place in a colander or sieve and place over a bowl – this is so that any excess moisture will drip down into the bowl. Leave overnight.
- The next day carefully remove the muslin cloth and place the cheese ball into an oven-proof dish and place into a preheated 200C oven for 1 hour.
- Remove and let cool. Slice and serve.
Firm tofu-like cheese:
- Measure 1 tbsp of agar agar powder and mix with 2 cups of water. Bring to a full boil and then boil for five minutes, whisking often.
- Pour the cashew mixture into agar water pot and stir together until well combined and smooth. The cheese should come together at this point and clear the sides of the pot.
- Immediately fill your prepared loaf pan with the cheese and smooth over the top.
- Refrigerate until hard. When ready gently pull cheese away from the sides and flip it out. Cut with a serrated knife.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to one week. For longer storage tightly wrap the cheese in plastic wrap several times and store in freezer.
For a different flavor omit the nutritional yeast, garlic and 1/2 of the lemon juice from the basic recipe and try making:
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
Tomato basil cheese:
- 1 tsp organic tomato paste
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
Chilli chive cheese:
- 1-2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- a pinch of red chilli flakes or chopped fresh chilli