I always thought that going vegan means no pizzas for me any more since without cheese you cant even imagine pizza right :P. Wrong! You can enjoy delish vegan meat and dairy free pizzas when eating out or making your own: Yesterday I made this gorgeous juicy flavorful pizza with crispy thin crust and it was so good :). And there is nothing difficult in making this, you can use whatever veggie topping you like, just use your imagination. I think that every pizza has to have mushrooms, olives and flavorful tomato juice, everything else is just a bonus ;). So I will share my pizza recipe with you and I suggest using nutritional yeast to give this cheesy Parmesan flavor. I made two thin crust pizzas and they were eaten by the end of the day.
makes 1 thick pizza crust or 2 thin crusts
Ingredients for crust:
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups organic stone ground spelt flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup hot water
Ingredients for topping:
(enough for two thin crust pizzas)
- Pizza herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper )
- Nutritional yeast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 150g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, sliced
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 150g black olives
- 350g tomato passata (add a pinch of sugar and basil)
- In a stainless steel or ceramic bowl, combine yeast and sugar. Add 1 cup hot water and let sit 2 minutes, or until mixture begins to froth.
- Add salt and flour, and mix with a fork until dough becomes firm. Knead in bowl for 1 minute, then form into a soft ball.
- Pour oil and roll to coat.
- Allow dough to rise for 15 minutes or until doubled in size, then punch down into another ball to incorporate oil.
- Meanwhile sautee onions with mushrooms, then add herbs, salt and other veggies and cook slightly.
- For a thin crust, divide dough into two balls and use two baking pans. Press each dough ball into baking pan covered with baking sheet. Put into oven for about 5 minutes in a oven preheated to 250c.
- Take out and add tomato sauce and toppings, then bake on the middle rack for about 20 minutes, or until crust is golden-brown. For a thick crust, press dough into a pan and bake for a total of 30 minutes.
- When ready sprinkle with nutritional yeast and enjoy your vegan pizza while its hot ;). Even-thought it tastes good cold also :P.