This is simple and delicious recipe, I urge you to try this and you will never want to buy additive laden store marzipan again. You can try different flavors, like add orange zest or use peppermint extract instead of vanilla, be creative and create the flavors you desire. It also makes a perfect gift if you make nice small balls and wrap them with pretty paper. You can create cute figures with your kids and make them as fun birthday treats .
- 2 cups skinned raw almonds (soaked overnight)
- 1 1/2 cup dates (pitted and soaked about 30 minutes)
- 2 tbsp almond milk (more if needed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 100g dark chocolate or some raw cocoa powder
- Remove the skin from the almonds. Place them in a food processor along with the salt and process until you have a fine flour. Scoop this into a bowl and set aside for now.
- In order to get the smoothest possible result, place the dates, vanilla extract and almond milk in a food processor and process until you have a smooth paste, before adding in the ground almonds.
- Add ground almonds and blend until the mixture is properly combined and starts forming a ball in the food processor. If necessary you can gradually add in more almond milk but be careful not to add in too much.
- If you choose to use cocoa powder, make small balls and roll in cocoa until evenly covered.
- If you wish to use dark chocolate, take the marzipan ball from the food processor and split into two pieces and form these into a medium-sized logs.
- Melt the chocolate in a small pot.
- Carefully take one of the marzipan logs and place in the pot. Turn it around so that the chocolate gets on all edges and place the log on a plate. Repeat the same with the other log.
- Pour the remaining chocolate on top of the marzipan logs if you want the layer to be thicker.
- Store in the refrigerator for about 15-30 minutes so that the chocolate hardens. Slice up and serve.