Proper food combining allows for good digestion and the assimilation of nutrients into our body. When eating foods from two different categories, the quicker digesting food has to wait for the slower digesting food to digest before it can leave the system. If it is unable to digest, it ferments. This creates acidity in the body which is a breeding ground for disease. Some foods, like watermelon, can take just 15 minutes to digest, while nuts can take up to 4 hours. Digestion times vary with the food. Generally the light, more water based foods digest quickly while the heavier proteins take a lot longer. Foods that are properly combined will exit fairly quickly. Improperly combined foods can spend up to eight hours in the stomach! This backs up the digestive system and takes a big toll on your body.
We need to practice proper food combining because our digestive systems cannot digest all food combinations, as evidenced by indigestion, flatulence, acid reflux, diarrhea, vomiting, body odors, colds, flu, pimples, dandruff, chronic pain, fatigue, and countless other signs of autointoxication. If we have chronic gastrointestinal gas, queasiness, bloating and body odors, we are not healthy, even if we feel good and happy. Toxic matter and gases in the body do erode our health and will sooner or later lead to disease, with no exception! Those who can seemingly eat “anything” are, ultimately, not going to get away with it! In fact, hygienic physiologists agree that over ninety percent of all known common maladies and major diseases are caused by autointoxication, self-poisoning, mainly caused by eating diets which are incompatible with our physiological constitution and capabilities.
A properly combined diet of 75 percent or more raw food will clear up most maladies. The correct diet for the human species, as revealed by studies of anatomy, physiology and biology is, predominantly, whole, ripe, organic raw fruits and succulent vegetables, with minimal amounts of nuts and seeds. The validity of the food combining guidelines has been confirmed by virtually everyone who has applied them for a while, and they are supported by physiological science.
Test the guidelines out and learn for yourself. Everyone who continiously follows them, avoiding overeating and incorporating other essential elements of healthful living, sooner or later derives the benefits of excellent digestion, no body odors, minimal or no gas, inoffensive feces, effortless defecation, clear urine, clearer skin, eyes and mind, more balanced composure, ideal weight level, greater physical stamina, faster healing, better sleep, and youthful vitality. Basically, mono meals yield the best results, the simpler the digestive task, the better the results.
Simple combos or mono meal eating is a beautiful experience, and creates peace, serenity, purity, slimness and youthful vitality, while saving us money and time. There is no reward for gluttony. By eating simply, savoring each food item separately, and living healthfully, we’ll live longer and, thus, be able to eat many more delightful meals.
The table below shows some basic food categories in a raw food vegan diet. The basic rule is to eat from one category at a time. Some categories can be combined and still digest well while others should be avoided.
How to Combine Vegan Food for Optimal Digestion:
|Food is divided into a couple of groups.Below you will see the different combining groups.After which you will find information about how to combine them without disturbing your digestion.|
The Food Groups:
Fats and Oils:
|NON-Starchy Vegetables (High-water content foods):
The Fruit Types:
Directions for Food Combining:
Eat the following foods together for the best food combining strategy:
|Combination Number 1:Oils + carbohydrates + Non-starchy vegetables + Mildly-starchy vegetables = GOOD!||Individual break down:
|Combination Number 2:Protein + Non-starchy vegetables + Mildly-starchy vegetables=GOOD!||Individual Break Down:
|Combination Number 3:Fruit+ Fruit + Fruit= ALONE, EXCELLENT||Individual Break Down:
- Chew all food as thoroughly as possible before swallowing. We assimilate only foods which are the most liquified.
- Cold foods, including liquids, inhibit digestion, so keep that in mind when adding ice to your drinks!
- Soaking nuts releases enzyme inhibitors, making them more digestible.
- Never mix protein, carbohydrates, and oils together.
- Eat fruit for a meal, instead of between meals. If eaten between meals, it can tamper with the digestion of food you’ve eaten earlier in the day.
- Melons are best eaten alone or with acid/sub-acid fruits only.
- Sweet fruits should never be eaten with acid fruits.
- Juices should be treated like the whole food they came from with regards to how to combine them.
- A minimal amount of sweet acidic citrus fruit might digest well with avocado, nuts, seeds and young coconut.
- Tomato and tomatillo combine well with nuts, seeds and avocado.
- A minimal amount of avocado might combine well with starchy foods.
- Nuts and seeds can be eaten together. Avoid eating nuts/seeds with avocado and coconut.
- Eating nuts, seeds, coconut and avocado with green neutral vegetables (lettuce, kale, celery) and/or cucumbers typically enhances digestion as additional proper digestive juices will aid in the digestion of the fat.
- Lemons and Limes combine with Starches, Vegetables & Greens, Proteins, and Fats.
- Avocados combine with Sub-Acid Fruit.
- Cucumbers combine with Fats.
- Tomatoes combine with Starches, Vegetables & Greens, and Fats.
- Legumes are poorly digested because of their high protein and starch content. Sprouted legumes are somewhat more digestible. These are best eaten with green neutral vegetables (lettuce, kale, celery) and/or cucumbers.
- Starchy foods combine well with all vegetables and non-sweet fruits except tomatoes. Protein/fatty foods combine well with nonstarchy vegetables and cucumbers. Avocado combines well with any kind of vegetable, tuber and non-sweet fruit. Eat avocado minimally until you have overcome illness.
- Use what works for you! These food combining tips aren’t set in stone! Everybody is different. Listen to your body!
The basis for food combining is a logical application of the chemistry and physiology of digestion, with special consideration given to the limitations of our digestive juices and enzymes. The practical application of this knowledge has given us the guidlines of food combining, which we may use to ensure a greater degree of digestive efficiency.
In relating this concept to nutrition, we should realize that the nourishment our body receives is dependent on what we can digest and assimilate. That which is not digested only wastes the body’s energy in passing it through the alimentary canal. What is worse, the undigested food becomes soil for bacteria to feed upon, resulting in putrefaction and fermentation which irritates and poisons our tissues. This is a primary contributing factor in the causation of disease.
This is not to say that applying the principles of food combining will always lead to good digestion, as there are other factors which reduce our digestive capabilities, like overeating and eating under stressful conditions. Some of these include: fatigue, preceding or following strenuous exercise, during a fever or when there is severe inflammation, and while experiencing strong emotions. All of these conditions hinder digestion and predispose to bacterial decomposition of food. In addition, the use of condiments, especially salt, vinegar, alcohol, coffee or tea during a meal retards digestion considerably. All of these circumstances must be considered if one desires good digestion, and, consequently, a well-nourished body.
That people suffer greatly from indigestion is evidenced by the fact that billions are spent yearly on over-the-counter medicines to suppress the pains and discomforts due to conventional eating and living habits. Diseases of the hearth, blood, tumors, stomach, intestines, colon, etc. are on the increase, conventional treatment with drugs and surgery does not remove their underlying causes. We need to adopt a saner plan of living that includes sound nutritional principles, if we are ever to remedy this situation. Simple meals of compatible combinations are a necessity for good digestion.