If you love Nutella, then this recipe is just for you. It is healthy, easy to make and tastes delish. Nutella is marketed as “hazelnut cream”, its main ingredients are sugar and palm oil, followed by hazelnut, cocoa solids, and skimmed milk and soy produce. Actually Nutella is 55% sugar! Read the correct list of Nutella ingredients. About half of the calories in Nutella come from fat and about 40% of the calories come from sugar.
While Nutella provides very little good nutrition (not much protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals) this homemade sugar-free version is not just vegan, it’s healthy also ;). So, try this recipe for a healthy guilt-free “Nutella” indulgence! You can spread it on fruits, waffles, pancakes, banana bread or anything else you like.
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4-6 tablespoons coconut sugar or date paste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- pinchof sea salt
Yields about 500 g of delicious homemade Notella.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Toast the hazelnuts in the oven for about 10 minutes, until they get slightly brown and the skins are blistered a little.
- Wrap them in a kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove as much loose skin as possible. Some skin will cling to the nuts but that is ok. Let cool completely and put in a food processor.
- Blend the hazelnuts in the food processir or high speed blender like Vitamix until they form nut butter. You might have to stops and scrape the edges and if your food processor gets too warm, take a break.
- Now add all the other ingredients and only half of the required milk.
- Blend again. If you like the consistency, leave it like that, if not just pour the rest of the milk.