This may look like a regular omelette using eggs, but it’s actually a chickpea pancake (Besan Chilla)! The taste is nuttier and sweeter but it has likeness to a veggie omelette. Chickpea flour is much lower in fat and calories than 2 eggs and is cheaper as well. Serve with a side of salad for a satisfying breakfast. This is protein rich, filling breakfast. Nothing beats a hearty cooked breakfast! I am trying to cut down on animal produce, like all milk products and eggs as well. I have been making oat pancakes with nut milk and apple sauce instead of yogurt and ground flaxseed and banana instead of eggs. I am so glad I discovered this alternative for regular egg omelette. My boyfriend said it kind of tastes like pizza. Who doesn’t like healthy pizza tasting omelette in the morning. And there are so many varieties of veggies you can use in this recipe.
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water or oat milk
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil for cooking
- Assorted veggies (I used kale, carrots, tomatoes and red onion)
- Start by sautéing the veggies on medium heat with coconut oil.
- Combine rest of ingredients and stir until a batter forms.
- Pour batter into pan, cook for 5 minutes or so, (you can even add some more nutritional yeast flakes on top before folding for a cheesier centre)
- Then fold “omelette” in half and continue cooking for another minute or until cooked through.
- You want it to be slightly soft in the middle though, so don’t cook it too much! Makes 1 omelette.