I just love spicy chai latte, I could drink it every day. Finally I decided to try making this from scratch. I had all the ingredients at home already, so I googled a little bit and the next minute I was in the kitchen making chai latte for my family. And to my surprise it turned out so good, that everyone loved it.
The tea in chai is rich in antioxidants, including flavonoids. The flavonoids in tea neutralize free radicals in the body, reducing the risk of certain cancers, stroke, heart attack, high cholesterol and tooth decay. Drinking tea, such as chai, may decrease the risk of developing kidney stones or osteoporosis. Chai has its origins in Ayurveda. In traditional Ayurvedic medicine, the herbs and spices in chai are believed to have healing properties. More about benefits of chai latte ingridients check here.
makes abot 2 big cups or three medium sized cups
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 black tea bags or 3 tbsp dried black te leaves (depending how strong you like)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cardamom pods
- 1 whole clove
- 1/4 tsp black pepper pods
- 1 tsp ginger(or ground fresh ginger)
- 2-4 tbsp unrefined cain sugar or honey
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk
- Combine the water, tea bags, and spices in a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil. Boil for five minutes.
- Add sugar/honey and milk. Stir until the milk begins to lightly simmer. Immediately remove from heat.(milk can boil over easily and you don’t want that mess :P)
- Pour chai mixture through a strainer into a french press. Cover with top/filter and pump up and down a few times until the desired amount of froth builds up. Or use milk frother on each cup. And if you don’t have a french press or milk foamer, that’s okay too. The chai tea will still be awesome.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!