This is not your traditional gingerbread cookie, but it will be so good healthy alternative. And if you use the right amount of the spices it will taste as the real thing 😉 I ate almost four cookies yesterday, and I have never liked gingerbread cookies before. I always made the traditional ones for my daughter. This is really easy recipe, you just need good food processor and it will do all the work for you :P. Go ahead and try something new this christmas ;).
- 280 g (2 3/4 cups) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 fresh soft pitted dates (60 g)
- 50 ml coconut oil
- 40 g date or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg
- Combine almond meal, dates and spices in a food processor.
- Process until combined and mix is crumbly.
- Add coconut oil, honey (+molasses if using), vanilla + egg white.
- Process again until a soft dough forms.
- Remove the dough and cover with food film.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the dough to firm up. If in a hurry, place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Cut the baking paper to the size of your oven pan, put it on table and then place the dough on it.
- Roll the dough as thick as you like.
- Cut out into shapes with a gingerbread cutter, remove the pieces that was left between the shapes and place cookies onto a baking pan with baking paper.
- Bake at 150 C. for 15-30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
Cashew cream cheese glaze
- 2 cups cashews, preferably soaked for a couple hours
- 1-2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- Water, as needed
- Blend all ingredients in your high-speed blender until smooth, adding as little water as possible. Taste it – mm. Put in a bowl and set aside.
- Put it in the small plastic bag and cut the corner and squeeze away, making the shapes you want.
- Let the glazed cookies sit in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. It wont be hardening as much as sugar glaze, it will stay half soft, but it will be so delicious anyway 😉 enjoy
I didnt have cashews this time, so I made with almonds. It’s not white color as cashew cream would be but was really delicious 😛